London police say 58 people assumed dead in tower block blaze

The cause the blaze is still under investigation, but anger has mounted in the community amid reports that exterior panelling used in an extensive renovation completed past year may have been banned by United Kingdom rules.

Commander Stuart Cundy of the Metropolitan police told reporters Monday (June 19) authorities spend the weekend in the building looking for the dead.

A massive fire had engulfed Grenfell Tower in North Kensington last week, killing many people and injuring several others, many of whom are in critical condition.

"During recent visits in Manchester and London, I have been profoundly struck by the immediate inclination of people throughout the country to offer comfort and support to those in desperate need", the queen said in a statement.

Mr Cundy said the police investigation into the blaze would look at the building and its refurbishment in 2016 and vowed to prosecute people "if there is evidence".

The leader of Britain's main opposition party is calling for the government to take over empty homes for use by residents displaced by the London high-rise fire.

The Prime Minister has become the target of anger over her response to the disaster, which has left 58 people presumed dead. He asked anyone who was in the tower and survived to contact police immediately.

The recovery operation had been paused amid concerns for the safety of emergency workers in the building, but has now resumed. The identification of the victims is proving very hard - which experts attribute to the extreme heat of the fire.

SKorea to scrap plans to build nuclear reactors
With the country still setting its long-term energy plans, it is unclear how many will be replaced by new reactors. The reactor was built by Korea Electric Power Corp, based on technology by now bankrupt U.S. firm Westinghouse.

Prime Minister Theresa May had to virtually flee the church she visited in order to meet survivors of the Grenfell Tower fire, which has killed 30 people and injured scores of others.

The Metropolitan Police has released footage showing the "indescribable" damage caused by the fire.

The 91-year-old monarch said it is "difficult to escape a very somber mood" on what is normally a day of celebration.

In a television interview on Friday, she sidestepped questions over whether she had misread the public mood. Hundreds have been left homeless, putting more pressure on officials in a city plagued by a chronic housing shortage.

Protesters gathered to call for help for the residents of the burned building, and the BBC reports that dozens of people "stormed Kensington and Chelsea Town Hall with a list of demands".

Some said they had never seen a building fire advance so quickly. More than three million pounds ($3.8m) have been raised for the affected families.

King also said that there are around 4,000 tower blocks in the United Kingdom without automatic fire sprinkler protection systems in place.

British officials say they are helping the Syrian family of the first officially confirmed victim of the London tower blaze to come to Britain.

Latest News