Civilian killed as army opens fire on protesters in Kashmir

Deceased Tanveer in a file

Deceased Tanveer in a file

An 18-year-old was killed and another person was injured on Friday after security forces allegedly opened fire on a group of youths who were throwing stones in the Beerwah area of Kashmir's Budgam district, PTI reported.

Reports said that soon after Tanveer's funeral prayers were offered and his body was being taken for burial, forces fired tear smoke shells on the mourners.

Police said an Army patrol was stoned at Beerwah.

"Someone among these miscreants (protesters). hurled a firecracker towards the army men".

Srinagar: Police on Friday said that army men opened fire after they mistook fire cracker sound for a grenade blast in Beerwah area of central Kashmir's Budgam district. "Because of the "bang", the soldiers thought a grenade had been hurled and they retaliated", police added.

He was rushed to PHC Gondipora where he died.

Suspected separatists ambushed a police patrol in the town of Achhabal, killing five police personnel, a police officer told AFP news agency last Friday.

Food served by Indian Railways' catering services unfit for consumption: CAG
At the same time, passengers are not billed for their food, while eating quality also has many drawbacks. The ministry official said the catering policy has been changed only thrice - in 2005, 2010 and 2017.

A group of youth while protesting against the recent killings in the Valley turned violent and hurled rocks at the troops on duty. "Among them Tanveer succumbed to his injuries while Ibrahim is stable", said the spokesman.

Armed police and paramilitary soldiers in riot gear patrolled streets and blocked roads with razor wire and steel barricades. "In no time the numbers swelled and the intensity of stone pelting increased".

They demanded action against the army men involved in killing of youth and injuries to another. Some of the people tried to close in on the patrol and snatch weapons from the soldiers.

In view of the separatists call for strike and a march, the authorities imposed restrictions in parts of Srinagar to maintain law and order, police said. The separatists also called for a march to the United Nations office in Srinagar, the region's main city.

Almost 70,000 people have been killed in the uprising and the ensuing Indian military crackdown.

Life has come to a standstill in most parts of the Valley as marketplaces, most financial and educational institutions and some government offices are shut following a general strike call issued by the alliance of key separatist leaders-Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Muhammad Yasin Malik - against civilian killings and other alleged human rights violations by the security forces.

Latest News