Student drowns while friends were busy taking selfies

Bengaluru: As group poses intently for selfie, 17-year-old drowns

Bangalore: Student drowns as his friends click selfies

The deceased who has been identified as Vishwas G was on a picnic along with his fellow National Cadet Corps (NCC) cadets.

'One of the students was replaying his selfie photos and noticed Vishwas drowning being captured in the frame.

A 17-year-old student who was studying at the National College in Jayanagar, Bengaluru lost his life on Sunday after drowning in a pond while his friends were busy clicking group selfies. After a while, they were looking at pictures clicked by them using their mobile phones. He informed NCC unit chief, Prof Girish and other students, however, it was too late as Vishwas had already drowned.

The demonstration was called off after the college management assured the protesters that stringent action would be taken against the lecturers if their role was confirmed.

As the others were taking selfies at the steps of the Gundanjaneya temple pond, Vishwas slipped and fell into the water. By the time they returned to the kalyani, it was past an hour.Vishwas was nowhere to be seen. His body was found at 3.30 pm on Sunday. As the friends of Vishwas alerted, his parents rushed to the spot.

Alejandro Villanueva admits embarrassment after 'standing alone' for national anthem
"As a team, it was not a protest of the flag or the anthem ", he said . What you can get out of this is that we essentially butchered our plan.

The police are yet to question the rest of the boys who were present at the picnic spot as they were in shock. The coordinator, Girish, also could not be traced by the police despite being summoned to the station to record his statement. "We will know whether any faculty was part of the team or not", Kaggalipura police said.

Sumanth A, a student in the group, said, "We were done swimming and started for the temple, and realised Vishwas was not around".

"The victim's father has lodged a complaint alleging that negligence by the National College management led to death of his son".

Govindappa has now filed a case alleging that the negligence of college authorities led to his son's death. The body was shifted to Sri Rajarajeshwari Medical College Hospital on Mysuru Road for postmortem and handed over to his parents on Monday.

Latest News