Deadly Kansas 'Swatting' Suspect Charged With Manslaughter

Tyler Barriss

Tyler Barriss

The Los Angeles man arrested in connection to a deadly swatting call in Wichita, Kansas last month has been charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Prosecutors allege Barriss was in Los Angeles when he called police on December 28 with a fake story about a shooting and kidnapping at a home in Wichita, Kansas.

Barriss is also facing charges regarding giving false alarm and falsely reporting a felony. The maximum sentence varies, but if found guilty Barriss could face a hefty fine and years in prison.

As of writing, the length of his sentence is still unknown and will re-appear in court on January 25th. Barriss is now being held on a $500,000 bond.

Barriss was arrested in a Los Angeles transitional recovery center, law enforcement sources told NBC.

Triple H comments on dinner meeting with Ronda Rousey
Don't get it twisted - Enzo respects the hell outta Ronda. and even told us she's got the tools to be a kick-ass pro wrestler. Triple H such out of the restaurant in LA first before Rousey exited with her agent in tow.

Finch, who was unarmed, was fatally shot by police after he answered the door.

Swatting is the term when someone calls police with a fake story of a serious ongoing crime - like a killing, hostage situation or bomb threat - in an effort to draw a large police presence to an address. The officer who shot Finch, a 7½-year veteran of the force, is on paid leave pending the investigation.

There is no update regarding punishment for the Call of Duty player that apparently provided Finch's address as his own. The Calgary resident said that she was targeted by Barriss due to her online persona.

The hoax call reportedly was made after a dispute over a small wager online in a "Call of Duty" online video game tournament, according to Dexerto, a news service focused on gaming. Instead, one gamer is said to have provided two others with the Wichita address where Finch was killed.

The Calgary Police Service allege that Barriss called 911 at about 7:40 p.m. on December 22 and told an operator he killed his father and was holding his mother and younger brother hostage in the 2300 block of 17b Street S.W.

Latest News