Father charged with murder in death of 3-year-old Sherin Mathews

Parents of 3-Year-Old Are Indicted in Her Death

3-year-old Sharin Mathew's father could face the death penalty

The father of a 3-year-old girl adopted from an Indian orphanage was indicted on a capital murder charge on Friday, almost three months after the girl's body was found in a culvert near their suburban Dallas home.

The attorneys for Sini Mathews tell NewsFix, "The indictments handed down today by a Dallas County Grand Jury confirm what we have previously stated".

Sherin Mathews was reported missing on October 7. According to court documents, 37-year-old Wesley Mathews told authorities that 3-year-old Sherin Mathews had choked and died when he was forcing her to drink milk.

District Attorney Faith Johnson said evidence in the case was still unfolding Friday, but that there was no indication anyone else was involved in the death. "I am happy we are in a place where we can bring justice for this child".

The child's body was found in a culvert beneath a road.

UIDAI will issue 16-digit virtual ID to secure Aadhaar privacy
The Aadhaar holder will also have the option to take up Aadhaar authentication through the existing method, by quoting the UID. VID is a 16-digit, randomly-generated number which can be used for authentication instead of the original Aadhaar number.

"Eventually Wesley Mathews no longer felt a pulse on the child and believed she had died", the affidavit said. He was also indicted Friday for tampering with evidence, KXAS-TV reported.

The girl's adoptive mother, Sini Mathews, 35, faces one count of abandoning a child.

According to the indictment, Sherin, who was adopted by the couple from an adoption home in India, was killed "by a manner and means unknown to the Grand Jury".

An attorney for Wesley Mathews, Rafael de la Garza, did not immediately return a call for comment Firday.

Sherin Mathews was reported missing by her father in October past year, who had at the time said he left her outside their house as punishment for not drinking her milk. After two weeks of looking, searchers found Sherin's body less than a mile from the house. He told a detective that he had been trying to get Sherin to drink her milk in the garage, and she wouldn't listen to him, the affidavit states. "The 3-year-old began to choke. Sini Mathews had nothing to do with the tragic death of Sherin Mathews". Investigators wrote that he "then admitted to removing the body from the home". He remains jailed on $1 million bond. "We do want to make sure that justice is done, on behalf of this little three year old", says DA Johnson.

Latest News