Missing Toronto firefighter found in California

Toronto firefighter who vanished on upstate NY ski trip found 'confused' in California

Toronto firefighter found safe in California after disappearing from New York ski trip

Constantinos "Danny" Filippidis was reported missing after being last seen on February 7 at Whiteface Mountain during an annual ski trip with his colleagues.

Filippidis contacted Sacramento police, who took him to receive medical care as a precaution.

"He had phoned (his wife) and called her by a nickname, she quickly recognized the voice and that it was him", Ramagnano said.

Sgt. Shaun Hampton with the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department says Constantinos (Danny) Filippidis was showing signs of serious memory loss when he called police from the city airport on Tuesday morning identifying himself as someone missing from NY.

Filippidis was alone when he was found and was still wearing the clothing he had been skiing in when he went missing, Ramagnano said, adding that he didn't know if Filippidis has a history of mental illness.

A Canadian firefighter who mysteriously vanished while he was on a ski trip in upstate NY was found in California on Tuesday "alive and in good health", police said. The man is a Toronto firefighter, and on Tuesday he was being checked out at a Sacramento area hospital. "He believes he suffered a head injury at some point but is unclear as to when that occurred".

He said he was sleeping for most of the 2,900-mile, 44-hour trip to California.

"We've been searching overnight and we're searching to this very moment for the individual", Whiteface spokesman Jon Lundin said early on in the search.

Michigan State Interim President Engler Calls Scathing ESPN Report 'Sensationalized'
Asked respond to Engler's comments, ESPN said - in an email sent to 97.1 The Ticket - "We stand by our reporting". We'll see what goes from there when I get home and get a chance to read it all and get a chance to talk to him.

Officials do not believe Filippidis was under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Frank Ramagnano, president of the Toronto Professional Firefighters' Association, said Filippidis had lingered behind his friends to do one more run on the slopes before he vanished just after 2:30 p.m. on February 7. The group was scheduled to return home that night, he said.

Authorities say they are investigating the circumstances surrounding the case, but released few other details.

"I saw the pain in his kids eyes when we were there". Filippidis stayed out on the hill for one more run. "They'll do a comprehensive investigation". U.S. Border Patrol also helped, along with Search and Rescue of the Northern Adirondacks (SARNAK), a trained volunteer group. He said he's proud of how his members came together and that their collaboration speaks to the closeness of the service.

On Tuesday, Ramagnano said that before Filippidis went missing, he was skiing with a friend who got exhausted and wanted to stop.

"Some knew him really well and some didn't know him at all, (but) they all understood that one of us was in trouble".

"When we asked him how he got here, he couldn't remember much", Sgt. Shaun Hampton told the Canadian Press.

Latest News