Security footage of the former deputy at Stoneman Douglas High School pokes holes in his claim that he heard shots coming from outside on that fateful February 14 day. At 2:21 PM, when shots were fired inside the school, School Resource Deputy Scot Peterson, who has since resigned from his post, arrived on the scene within minutes but stood outside the building rather than entering and trying to apprehend the shooter.
This booking photo shows Nikolas Jacob Cruz, the suspect in a deadly rampage at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla.
In a statement, the Broward Sheriff's Office said it welcomed a Florida judge's decision to release the footage but said it was prohibited from discussing any details until the investigation had concluded.
The golf cart comes back into view at 2:23:37 and you see Peterson and another person emerge.
At least 20 green-clad deputies from the Broward Sheriff's Office formed a tight ring of security around the courtroom.
The Sheriff's Office said after receiving unpaid suspension, Peterson chose to resign and retired immediately to avoid possible termination. Peterson walks over to 700 building on the campus and takes up a position and reportedly does not move from that spot.
Image Nikolas Cruz was arrested a few blocks from the school
- South Florida Sun Sentinel (@SunSentinel) March 15, 2018Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said last month that Peterson did not enter the building during the shooting. He radioed the sheriff's office with a warning. His lawyer said that an eye witness and the video from the school's surveillance system "will exonerate him of any sub-par performance".
The media organisations said the public had a right to see the videos under Florida's public record law.
President Donald Trump called Peterson a coward, but Peterson, through his attorney, said he wasn't sure where the gunfire was coming from and that he was "no coward".
Peterson broke his silence via his lawyer almost two weeks after the shooting. Because he refused to announce his plea, a judge entered a not guilty plea on his behalf on each of the 34 counts he faces - mainly to keep the legal process moving.
Howard Finkelstein, the Broward County public defender, has told The Washington Post that they did not want to have Cruz plead not guilty because it "just seemed wrong in this case".
The 19-year-old Cruz has been charged with 34 counts of murder and attempted murder.
Google Maps Will Now Help You Navigate Wheelchair Accessible Routes
This is where users answered accessibility questions, which helped bring additional information on more than 12 million places. Then tap "Options" and under the Routes section, you'll find "wheelchair accessible" as a new route type.