Alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur is now facing a seventh murder charge.The 66-year-old landscaper appeared by video in a Toronto courtroom this morning where the Crown said the new first-degree murder charge had been laid in the death of Abdulbasir Faizi.
The latest charge has been laid in the death of Abdulbasir Faizi, a 42-year-old married father of two who vanished on December 29 2010.
Idsinga said the probe has expanded to include 15 homicide cold cases from 1975 to 1997, adding that most of the cases involve gay men or victims with links to the gay village.
February 13, 2018 - Police say excavation at the home's backyard turned up no human remains, but suggest they may "revisit the scene" when the weather warms up.
"We may discover cases from the 70s, we may discover that 2010 was the first murder", Idsinga told a news conference.
When they then went to police, officers suggested he had probably just left, the relative said.
Police will provide an update to the public this afternoon, where they are expected to announce that they have identified additional remains unearthed from planters that were used by Mr. McArthur in his landscaping business.
Police initially arrested McArthur in early January for the slayings of Esen, who went missing in April, and Kinsman, who went missing in June. Later that month, McArthur was charged with first-degree murder in the deaths of Kayhan, Mahmudi and Lisowick.
Faizi's disappearance was being investigated by Toronto police in connection with the disappearance of Skandaraj Navaratnam and Majeed Kayhan, 58, under an investigation dubbed Project Houston.
United States blame Assad's forces and Russian Federation for chemical attack
Trump has said publicly that sharing military plans could give enemies information they could use to their advantage. Syria and Russian Federation have offered to coordinate with the authorities concerned over the inspection visit.
Idsinga said the remains of all but Kayhan have been identified among those recovered from the planters at the central Toronto home.
Toronto police search a property associated with Bruce McArthur in the Toronto area of Leaside on Feb 8, 2018. He added that the operation may get underway as early as next month.
Forensic teams are still in the process of collecting evidence from McArthur's apartment in the city's Thorncliffe Park neighbourhood. "I think it's easily set the record for a forensic examination of an apartment".
On Wednesday, Idsinga also released an enhanced version of a photograph of a man believed to be another one of McArthur's alleged victims. Police released a photo of the unidentified man - who appeared to already be dead - in March and received more than 500 tips. Police are still working to narrow down his identity among 22 remaining possibilities.
May 2016 - July 2017 - Police believe Dean Lisowick, 43 or 44, of no fixed address, was killed by McArthur during this time span.
Skandaraj Navaratnam, 40, disappears from Toronto's gay village.
Idsinga said Faisi, who was 42 when he disappeared on December 29, 2010, was one of the three men whose disappearances were linked through Project Houston, a task force launched by Toronto police in 2012, to look into the disappearances of the three men from Toronto's Gay Village.
August 2017 - Police launch Project Prism to investigate the disappearances of Esen and Kinsman. McArthur was interviewed by police during that project but it was closed in 2014.