Alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur accused of killing eighth victim

More details on dead man in photo linked to Bruce McArthur serial murder case to be released Monday

Toronto police to offer update on McArthur murder case

Accused serial killer Bruce McArthur has been charged with an eighth count of first-degree murder, with Toronto police saying an worldwide agency helped them identify the new victim.

McArthur was arrested on January 18 and charged with six counts of first-degree murder in relation to the deaths of Selim Esen, Andrew Kinsman, Soroush Mahmaudi, Dean Lisowick, Majeed Kayhan and Skanda Navaratnam.

"There's enough information on the backgrounds of these people that people can draw their own conclusions on that", Idsinga said.

Police said last week that they had identified the victim but did not release the name until today. "While we are saddened, we are also tremendously proud and relieved to have been able to bring closure to the friends and family of Mr. Kanagaratnam and the seven other victims". McArthur, Idsinga believes, killed Kanagaratnam between Sept 3, 2015 and December 14, 2015 - less than a month after another alleged victim, Soroush Mahmudi, was reported missing by his family.

Idsinga said more remains might be found at the home McArthur used as storage and that 75 properties linked to the landscaper are under investigation. Police have not released a cause of death for any of the men.

Investigators say he was identified after they released photographs of the man and appealed to the public for help.

Kanagaratnam was among at least seven bodies which were found at a home in Toronto where McArthur stored some of his landscaping equipment.

'I am gay' protest rocks China's Weibo after 'clean-up campaign'
Chinese authorities have embarked on a campaign in recent years aimed at purging internet content that it deems inappropriate. As of early Monday morning many such posts were still online, as censors appeared to struggle to keep up with the deluge.

"The stress and anxiety over dealing with hundreds of tips, hundreds of missing person occurrences and dozens of potential identifications for the eighth victim has been enormous", Idsinga said.

Idsinga said investigators are looking into 15 other cold cases dating back to the 1975, but have not found a connection.

McArthur has so far been charged with the murders of eight men between 2010 and 2017.

He emphasized, however, that police have not uncovered any evidence to suggest that McArthur's alleged killing spree began before 2010 when Navaratnam is believed to have died.

In this artist's sketch, alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur makes an appearance via video in a Toronto courtroom, Wednesday, April 11, 2018.

An external review to be launched later this month will look into the way in which Toronto police investigated the missing men reports.

Latest News