E-cig explosion kills FL man

GettyImages-512254728

TV Producer Dies After E-Cigarette Explodes, Lodges in His Skull

His official cause of death was listed as "projectile wound of the head" and ruled accidental.

The 38 year old's vape pen was reportedly a device made in the Philippines that is unregulated and not recommended for beginners.

E-cigarettes are battery-operated devices that produce an aerosol by heating a liquid, usually containing nicotine, flavorings and other chemicals, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. He also suffered burns on about 80 percent of his body.

FEMA, a company that routinely keeps statistics on e-cigarettes and other vaping devices, reports that D'Elia's death is the first of its kind in the United States.

Tallmadge D'Elia was found dead in his burning bed in St. Petersburg, the Tampa Bay Times reported.

There were at least 195 incidents in which an electronic cigarette exploded or caught fire from 2009 through 2016, resulting in 133 injuries, 38 of which were severe.

A representative from Smok-E Mountain told ABC Action News that their devices do not explode.

Award-winning Burnley gym offers free access for Mental Health Awareness Week
The NHS's National Director for Mental Health, Claire Murdoch, is also highlighting the importance of nursing in suicide prevention.

"This is a awful shock", Christopher D'Elia, the man's father, told ABC Action News. In this case, the autopsy noted that D'Elia was using a "mod" type e-cigarette manufactured by Smok-E Mountain.

Use vapes with safety features, including protection against overcharging.

Deputy fire marshal Steven Lawrence, who attended the scene, said vape pens can "become pieces of flying debris and shrapnel".

The owner of Lizard Juice, an e-cigarette retailer in Florida, said he does not think such vaping pens are "safe enough".

While the exact circumstances surrounding the explosion are unknown, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advises against carrying e-cig batteries loose in pockets to avoid coming in contact with coins, keys or metal objects.

The report blames the incidents on lithium-ion batteries in the products. In 2016, an e-cigarette exploded in a NY man's trousers pocket.

Latest News