"Afghan national defense and security forces will only stop offensive maneuvers against armed Afghan Taliban and will continue to target Daesh and other foreign-backed terrorist organizations and their affiliates", he said in reference to Islamic State fighters and other insurgents.
Army Gen. John Nicholson, speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a meeting of North Atlantic Treaty Organisation defense ministers, said the fight against the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria's affiliate in the southern part of Nangarhar province had already been intensifying this year and would be further stepped up during the cease-fire, which does not apply to non-Taliban opposition groups.
"We will adhere to the wishes of Afghanistan for the country to enjoy a peaceful end to the Islamic holy month of Ramadan, and support the search for an end to the conflict", General John Nicholson said in a statement.
In August, U.S. President Donald Trump unveiled a more hawkish military approach to Afghanistan, including a surge in air strikes to force the Taliban to the negotiating table.
Meeting in Kabul on June 4, the Afghan Ulema Council also appealed on both Afghan government forces and the Taliban and other militants to agree on a cease-fire, and called for peace negotiations between the sides.
The ceasefire could free resources for operations against Islamic State but some would remain to monitor the Taliban and for force protection, he told journalists on the sidelines of a meeting of North Atlantic Treaty Organisation defense ministers in Brussels.
In a statement issued by his spokesperson, Guterres urged the Taliban to "accept President Ashraf Ghani's peace offer to commence direct talks to bring an end to the long suffering of the Afghan people".
It was the first time an Afghan leader has declared a cease-fire with the Taliban since the current war began in 2001.
Samsung announces 2018 Galaxy J3 and J7, available 'early June'
With the J7, you're getting a 5.5-inch HD screen, 13MP f/1.7 rear camera, and 13MP f/1.9 sensor on the front. Perhaps, there has been some software enhancement if not, this is the same camera hardware on the J7 (2017).
NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg welcomed the announcement which he said "shows the seriousness of President Ghani and the Afghan government".
And in February, Ghani called for peace talks with the Taliban.
He expressed no concern that a unilateral cease-fire would give the Taliban breathing room to regroup and rearm.
The surprise move comes days after a gathering of Afghanistan's top clerics in the capital Kabul issued a fatwa against suicide bombings and attacks. In some cases, American officials said, the equipment was left on the battlefield by United States or Afghan troops, including those who were killed in action. The local branch of the Islamic State, which is not included in the cease-fire announcement, claimed responsibility for that attack.
He said the announcement is a positive step towards peace in Afghanistan.
"The way forward must not rely on a military solution but rather a democratic process", he said.
The Eid al-Fitr holiday ending Ramadan falls at the end of next week.