First Two Boys Reportedly Brought Out From Thai Cave

Credit PA

Credit PA

"They've been raining for the last four to five hours and the concern is that water is running straight back down into the cave and there are big concerns that that could in some way hamper this rescue effort".

Eight boys and the coach remain trapped, and experts are hoping to free the rest of the boys today.

As of last night, even the parents of the boys had not been told who had been rescued, one mother told our reporter Michael Safi. On 5 July local time, he lost consciousness when distributing air tanks inside the caves and could not be revived.

Narongsak said the operation on Monday went more smoothly than on Sunday and took two hours less, adding, "We think tomorrow we will do better than today and will succeed 100 percent".

Two divers are helping each of the boys out as families wait nervously outside the cave entrance - 2.5 miles (4km) from where they were trapped. Gen. Anupong said that process could take several hours. Since the monsoon season is approaching, it is urgent that the boys are rescued soon or the rising water will fill the cave entirely. Their condition was not immediately clear.

Chiang Rai governor Narongsak Osattanakorn described the four rescued boys as in "perfect" health, despite earlier reports that one was being "closely monitored", calling the rescue "our masterpiece work".

"The monsoonal pattern is present, meaning rain arriving in waves, which can't be adequately timed as they can escalate quickly", CNN meteorologist Gene Norman said Sunday evening.

"Primary path is basically a tiny, kid-size submarine using the liquid oxygen transfer tube of Falcon rocket as hull". If the tests are successful, the sub would be placed on a 17-hour flight to Thailand.

Sunday, rescuers successfully navigated the first batch of four boys through the perilous escape route. Authorities have said the soccer players are being looked after by Thai navy SEALs, including medics, staying with them inside the cave. Completing the mission could take up to 3 or 4 days, depending on the weather, rescue operators told Reuters.

West Ham confirm signing of Jack Wilshere on three year contract
Wilshere had been hampered by injuries in recent years and spent the 2016-17 season on loan at Bournemouth. He will join up with Pellegrini's squad for their pre-season training camp in Switzerland.

Authorities temporarily stopped rescue efforts on Monday to replenish air tanks along the cave's perilous exit course.

Thirteen foreign cave diving experts have entered the cave to join the rescue operation since 10:00 local time on Sunday.

"We've been working continuously overnight", a Chiang Rai government source told AFP on Monday morning, requesting anonymity, and confirming that there had only been a pause of the actual extraction operations.

The rescue mission has faced a ideal storm of obstacles since it began, including monsoonal rains, a lack of oxygen in the cave and the fact that numerous boys trapped inside don't know how to swim let alone dive.

Authorities have said the monsoons could cause water to rise in the cave.

The entire group had been trapped for more than two weeks.

The California tunnel company run by Elon Musk is continuing to maintain a presence at the Thai cave.

But Saturday night, he tweeted that the cave was now closed for the rescue by divers.

Latest News