Eight boys brought safely out of flooded Thai caves in two days

Richard William Stanton Robert Charles Harper and John Volanthen

Richard William Stanton Robert Charles Harper and John Volanthen Credit AFP

A third rescue operation to bring out the remaining four boys and their football coach from a flooded cave in Thailand has begun.

Four other youngsters and their soccer coach are still inside.

He said they would need to keep at least two metres away for their boys for at least 48 hours, until "we are sure there is no infection, then they can visit them normally".

Monday's rescue mission, which saw four boys extracted before dusk and whisked to Chiang Rai hospital, took around nine hours.

Citing a former SEAL diver with the Thai Navy, the BBC reported that some of the boys were asleep, while others were "groggy".

The Thai government is sending out communications to officially thank the leaders of the countries which sent their divers to join in the rescue operation at the Tham Luang cave complex in Chiang Rai.

His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces said that he was glad to hear that the rescue operations were successful.

Also yesterday, July 9, in Thailand, rescuers completed the second phase of the special operation of evacuation of schoolchildren from the flooded caves in Chiang Rai province.

"I feel like it happened so fast", said Suparat Chaiwong, a 22-year-old nursing student who was delivering donated food and supplies to rescue workers. It could take Thai rescuers about four days to rescue all of the remaining team members.

Saved Thai boys on road to recovery following cave rescue
The trapped Thai boys shortly after rescuers reached them in a flooded cave system. "That was a massive, massive relief". A British diver who helped rescue schoolboys from a cave in Thailand says it was "unbelievable" to find the boys alive.

Technology billionaire Elon Musk went into the cave on Monday and left the rescue team with a "kid-sized" submarine his company SpaceX had built, Thailand's interior Minister Anupong Paochinda said.

"When the first group came, their temperatures were low", he said.

The boys' ordeal has transfixed millions of people, as a massive rescue effort was planned and mounted. Their body temperatures were very low when they emerged, and two are suspected of having lung inflammation.

Families of the first four boys were being kept at a distance because of fears of infection and the boys were initially only allowed to eat a rice-based porridge, authorities said. Musk tweeted: "Just returned from Cave 3".

"We have not been told which child has been brought out".

So the challenge for the children lies in keeping in keeping calm while remembering the minutiae of a new skill, Foisey said.

The experts say if the boys are not rescued over the next few days, they may have to wait inside the cave for months before the rains ease up and another rescue attempt is made.

It could be at least seven days before they can be released from hospital, Jesada told reporters.

Latest News