Mandalay Bay Hotel reportedly sues Las Vegas shooting victims

Casino owners sue Las Vegas shooting victims to try to avoid legal liability | TheHill

Here's Why MGM Is Suing the Las Vegas Shooting Victims

For more on the Las Vegas mass shooting, visit this page. "On a human level, that is incomprehensible to most of us and profoundly wrong", said Leo Boyle, a Boston attorney who led a massive pro-bono legal effort for victims and survivors of the September 11 terrorist attacks.

In November, hundreds of victims filed a lawsuit against MGM that alleged negligence and claimed that MGM failed to properly monitor the room the shooter stayed in, according to theReview-Journal. MGM says the security company it hired for the festival, Contemporary Services Corp., was protected from liability and certified by the Department of Homeland Security to handle "acts of mass injury and destruction". The hotel company says this should protect MGM from liability as well.

Additional reporting from Newsy affiliate CNN.

The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports that the suits were filed on Friday, July 13 and target victims who filed their own suits against MGM attempting to hold the company liable for the shooting. Fine says MGM's latest legal maneuver makes her feel sick to her stomach. The FBI and the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department have not determined Paddock's motive and are still investigating. The lawsuit seeks to have a federal judge throw out the claims of hundreds of survivors against MGM - and stop new ones. "It has no impact on security services or emergency response services provided by MGM, especially those on the ground at Mandalay Bay".

The FBI defines acts of domestic terrorism as acts committed by "individuals and/or groups inspired by or associated with primarily US -based movements that espouse extremist ideologies of a political, religious, social, racial, or environmental nature".

MGM argues that this protection extends to the hotel giant, as it hired the security firm.

Paddock shows his brother Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock
Paddock shows his brother Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock

Lawsuits have been filed by victims' groups against both MGM and concert promoter Live Nation.

Las Vegas lawyer Robert Eglet, who is representing several victims, told the paper that the hotel's unusual action is a pre-emptive strike to get the cases heard in federal court instead of state court.

Lawsuits filed by victims last November claimed that the gunman Paddock, who had VIP "exclusive access" within the hotel, was able to stockpile weapons via a private elevator.

The act was introduced after September 11 as part of efforts to provide incentives for development and deployment of anti-terrorism technology.

For around 15 minutes Paddock rained more than 1,100 bullets down on the crowd using assault rifles that had been legally modified to fire on fully automatic mode. Paddock, 64, killed himself before authorities could capture him.

Congress reacts to Trump's Putin defense
A one-on-one meeting between the two men went on for more than two hours rather than the scheduled 90 minutes. Both the USA and Kremlin leaders have furiously denied Trump's campaign colluded with Russian Federation .

Latest News