Infected Oysters at Florida Restaurant Kill Diner

Modal Trigger					
				Shutterstock

Modal Trigger Shutterstock

The Florida Department of Health tells WFLA the 71-year-old man died on July 10 of Vibrio vulnificus after consuming a bad oyster at a restaurant two days earlier.

The 71-year-old man ate oysters at a Sarasota restaurant and died two days later.

The bacteria is identified as Vibrio vulnificus, which lives in warm, brackish seawater.

"We have an individual that consumed some raw oysters and to the best of our knowledge had no exposure to salt water, became severely ill, and passed away", Michael Drennon of the Sarasota County Health Dept. said, via WJAX.

The Florida Department of Health says if you experience any of the symptoms of this bacteria, seek medical care immediately.

Boris Johnson accuses PM May of 'dithering' on Brexit in resignation speech
I think it was an honest mistake made by the whips in fast-moving circumstances. It has one theme: “It is not too late to save Brexit .”.

Vibrio is a strain of bacteria found in oysters and other seafood.

Symptoms can include diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, fever and chills, rapid pulse, rapid breathing, wound infections and intestinal infections. "Most infections occur from May through October when water temperatures are warmer". Health officials, however, said this label is misleading since the bacteria do not attack healthy skin.

Oysters, clams, and mussels need to be cooked thoroughly since infection may be contracted through consumption of undercooked shellfish. "That can progress to a severe illness where you get the bacteria into your blood causing you to be more sick", Said Drennon. You can get infected by eating raw shellfish, particularly oysters, or by exposing open wounds to seawater.

Anyone with a weak immune system is advised to wear sandals or flip flops when entering the water to lower the risk of getting cut or scraped by seashells. Sarasota had no cases in 2017, and had three confirmed cases of the bacteria and a single death from infection in 2016. In rare cases, the bacteria can become "flesh eating disease".

Latest News