Surfer dies from brain eating amoeba after visiting Waco, Texas, resort

The BSR Surf Resort voluntarily closed down its wave pool after a surfer infected with Naegleria fowleri died since visiting the park. CDC is working to determine the source of the amoeba

Surfer dies from brain eating amoeba after visiting Waco, Texas, resort

The agency is testing for Naegleria (nee-GLEHR'-yah) fowleri (FOW'-lur-eye), colloquially known as a "brain-eating amoeba".

The BSR Surf Resort in Waco, Texas has temporarily shut its doors after a surfer from New Jersey died as a result of complications from Naegleria fowleri, which is often referred to as a "brain-eating amoeba".

Stabile, whose family said he was an avid outdoorsman who loved to surf, had been at the park on vacation.

Stabile returned to New Jersey and began suffering from a headache on September 16, according to the family's GoFundMe page.

Syabile was pronounced brain dead on Sep. Once the amoeba enters the nose, it travels to the brain where it causes PAM, which is usually fatal.

Twenty-nine-year-old Fabrizio "Fab" Stabile passed away at the Atlantic City Medical Center on Friday, September 21 after a brief fight with the bug.

U.S., Canada Reach Prelminary Trade Deal: Canadian Official
Those goals were achieved in the deal reached late Sunday, according to a Canadian official with knowledge of the negotiations. The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) has hurt Mexicans, Americans, Canadians, Quebecers, and Indigenous peoples.

The amoeba, called Naegleria fowleri, is typically seen in fresh water.

In very rare instances, Naegleria infections may also occur when contaminated water from other sources (such as inadequately chlorinated swimming pool water or heated and contaminated tap water) enters the nose.

"Our hearts and prayers are with his family, friends and the New Jersey surf community during this hard time", owner Stuart E. Parsons Jr. told the Waco Tribune. "BSR Surf Resort operates a state-of-the-art artificial man-made wave".

Naegleria fowleri is a microscopic amoeba which is a single-celled living organism. "We hope to have results by the end of the week", Waco-McLennan County Public Health District spokeswoman Kelly Craine said. Most infections occur from exposure to contaminated recreational water.

Of the few cases reported, only five people in North America are known to have survived.

Stabille's cerebrospinal fluid tested positive for the infection, but it was too late to administer the drug, according to the GoFundMe Page.

Latest News