Australian man bitten by shark near Great Barrier Reef dies

A man has died after a shark at Cid Harbour in north Queensland

Camera IconA man has died after a shark at Cid Harbour in north Queensland

The Queensland government will hold a shark summit in the Whitsundays this week, in a bid to find a long-term solution to stop attacks in Cid Harbour.

Christidis was taken by helicopter to the Mackay Base Hospital, 100 kilometres (60 miles) to the south, where he died.

It's the third time a person has been attacked in the region in less than two months.

SHARK experts have described the three attacks in the Whitsunday's as completely out of the ordinary for the underwater predator.

He is the second shark attack victim to die in Australia this year.

"Every solid effort was made to save that man's life", O'Connell said.

The death has renewed debate over shark mitigation measures, with the state government convening a roundtable of shark experts, local tourism operators and the Whitsundays Council to discuss the best way forward.

Both swimmers were pulled from the water by French tourists on another boat, who were the first to respond to the incident.

Rizzo: Nats made offer to Bryce Harper late in season
Zack Greinke ($US34 million), David Price ($US31 million) and Clayton Kershaw ($US31 million) all got more. Giancarlo Stanton's 2014 deal, which guaranteed him $325 million over 13 seasons, was an extension.

"But his injuries and the reaction to those injuries were so severe that, unfortunately, he has not survived, (not) long after his arrival at Mackay Base Hospital". The species of shark that attacked Christidis has not yet been identified. The scene is what you would imagine a shark attack to be like. A 12-year-old tourist, Hannah Papps, was attacked in the same harbor the next day, losing a leg.

Tasmanian mother of two Justine Barwick, 46, was bitten on her left thigh while snorkelling in the same area on September 19 and underwent 18 hours of surgery.

Prof Colin Simpfendorfer, from James Cook University, said shark attacks were "extremely rare" in the Whitsundays, but no theories had "so far been supported by real substantial information" to understand the spike in shark activity.

He said without knowing the type of shark that killed a tourist on Monday, he had assumed it was a tiger shark because of the number that were caught following an attack seven weeks ago.

However, Tourism Minister Kate Jones said they were sticking with their decision on Tuesday not to put in drumlines.

Fisheries Minister Mark Furner said in the statement that the harbor is a popular site to moor boats and the disposal of food scraps could attract sharks.

"All the agencies are working together to ensure people are being warned in the area now - do not swim in Cid Harbour", he said.

Latest News